Senior Product Manager - Ironstream/Mainframe
The "Sr. Product Manager – Ironstream / Mainframe" will be responsible for the product lifecycle management and market strategy of the Syncsort Mainframe Business Unit’s ‘Big Iron to Big Data’ (BIBD) products and services, including existing Ironstream products and future Ironstream derivatives. This position will report to the Director of Product Management & Marketing, Mainframe Business Unit and be based in the Pearl River, NY area. Travel to customer sites, industry events, etc. to gather insights and other information is part of this role.
Responsibilities will include:
• Doing ‘discovery’ with customers and prospects and get to core business problem/s, etc. and resultant requirements
• Driving market analysis
• Creating market strategy
• Defining product requirements and creating functional requirements specifications for Agile development
• Recommending pricing
• Producing Ironstream and BIBD business analysis
• Performing win/loss analysis
• Presenting to customers and the industry and acting as a thought leader and subject matter expert
• Providing competitive analysis
• Defining sales process
• Delivering marketing, sales content and field enablement
• Drive and own product roadmaps
• Driving overall product decisions for Ironstream and BIBD products/services (worldwide) through all routes to market segments in which Syncsort chooses to participate
This matrix leadership position will oversee Product Management and related assigned activities within the assigned market segments working cross-functionally with global Mainframe (Big Iron) groups – Engineering/Development, Support, Sales, Pre-Sales Engineering, and Marketing. This Sr. Product Manager – Ironstream / Mainframe role will work collaboratively with the other Product Management groups (Big Data, Sort) as well as Product Marketing, Renewals, Finance and Shared Corporate Marketing and other Services.
• Market Analysis: Analyze the key market and business dynamics of the market segments related to ‘Big Iron to Big Data’ (Ironstream, etc.). Define actionable market segmentations; quantify growth rates and key success factors of each segment.
• Market Strategy: Develop and promote strategies for market participation in ‘Big Iron to Big Data’ (Ironstream, etc.), working with Marketing, Sales and Engineering. Review and regularly update the market strategies and related strategies according to the planning cycle cadence.
• Product Management Processes: Define, adapt, or improve the processes essential to the successful execution of the Product Management organization. Key processes include but are not limited to Product Lifecycle Management, Requirements Management, Portfolio Management and Prioritization, Pricing, and Competitive Analysis.
• Requirements Management: Using established Product Management processes, collect, evaluate and prioritize requirements for both existing and new products and services targeted to the ‘Big Iron to Big Data’ (Ironstream, etc.) market. Capture requirements from all relevant sources (customers, service, sales, pre-sales SE’s, partners, prospects, etc.). Provide feedback to originating requirement organizations on status and expected incorporation of requirements. Using the requirements systems, develop Market Requirements Documents (MRD’s) and Product Requirements Documents (PRD’s). Working with Engineering, develop Product Roadmaps for implementation of requirements and features according to the priorities determined using the processes. Support the Agile development process and be a key stakeholder.
• Competitive Intelligence: Gather, analyze, make available, and update key information on existing and emerging competitive companies and solutions.
• Business Plan Development: Develop multi-year business plans for the market (‘Big Iron to Big Data’ (Ironstream)) and sub segments. Determine key success factors for achieving target business results and maintain business models for the product line, providing regular updates to company stakeholders on goals and status for achievement.
• Business Case Development: For business partnership proposals, features, and other business decisions needed in the product lifecycle, create appropriate business models, prepare and maintain business cases.
• Product Review and Oversight: Host and drive regular (weekly, bi-weekly, etc.) status reviews of relevant product/service development activities. Provide management and other key stakeholders with regular status updates. Provide leadership to the cross-functional teams for the product families under your management, working collaboratively with each functional area.
• Communication: Maintain regular clear and instructive communications with the management team and other key stakeholders for your product area. Written documents, email, presentations (PowerPoint, WebEx) are required and must demonstrate organization, clarity, and insight to markets and business issues.
• Leadership: Provide leadership to all organizations on matters related to product implementation, sales or support. This leadership role includes product management personnel under your direction.
• Collaboration: Work positively and effectively with Marketing, Engineering, Pre-Sales Engineering and other Product Management groups to analyze and make decisions about product decisions.
• Subject Matter Expertise: Act as the go-to subject matter expert (SME) for your products and services and support content creation, message development and related efforts whenever needed.
• Measurement: Monitor, measure, analyze and report on key measures of success with action registers and other measures of status.
Qualifications/ Key Skills:
• Minimum 5 -10 years’ experience demonstrating domain knowledge of IBM Mainframe, z/OS and/or other Open Systems platforms and applications. Knowledge of Splunk Enterprise and related “Big Data” platforms/solutions a plus.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a leader in Product Management (Product Manager, Sr. Product Manager, etc.) in a related technical area. Knowledge of Agile Development/Scrum a plus.
• B.S. in Engineering, Computer Science or similar; M.B.A. or M.S. preferred.
• Knowledge of market models and market segmentation strategies.
• Experience in building business and pricing models, and applying models to achieve proven business results.
• Demonstrated outstanding written, oral and internet communication skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and drive projects to produce results.
• Ability to adjust and adapt quickly as well as "wear many hats" when needed.
• Exceptional business judgment in identifying opportunities and resolving issues.
• Enthusiasm to work in a fast-paced, demanding business environment while collaborating effectively with cross-functional groups, management, sales and customers.
• Strong attention to detail with the ability to manage high volumes of work.
• Excellent analytical, interpersonal, managerial, and organizational skills.