Mainframe Database Solution Consultant
London, United Kingdom
Syncsort is looking for an Mainframe Database Solution Consultant that will perform pre-sales engineering and post-sales solution design and service delivery for Syncsort’s DL/2 (IBM Mainframe) product. This includes service opportunity pursuit in cooperation with the field sales team, technical architecting and scoping, selling, delivery and periodic project executive role.
This role can be located anywhere in the United Kingdom.
PRE-SALES ENGINEERING: 40%
- Present the DL/2 technology to various customer roles, including senior technical staff and IT management
- Answer technical questions about DL/2, its impact in prospect’s environments and its implementation
- Recommend best approaches for implementing DL/2 in prospect’s environment
- Scope the scale and complexity of effort required to implement DL/2 in prospect’s environment
POST-SALE SERVICES: 50%
- Design and deliver DL/2 proof of concept tests at the prospect’s site or remotely
- Create clear and achievable DL/2 project plans
- Design DB2 environment and DL/2 configuration to accommodate customer’s existing IMS environment
- Coordinate DL/2 implementation and testing activities with customer
- Liaise with all escalation groups, primarily Engineering, Product Management and Support
- Mentor service and support engineers to develop and enhance their skills
- Contribute to the development of best practices and consulting methodologies
- Maintain industry and technical certifications as required
- Timely expense and billable hours submission based on company policy guidelines
- Assist with process assessments
- Identify solution enhancements and participate in new version release rollouts
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Competencies, Education, Training, Work Experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or business field, or equivalent technology industry experience
- Working knowledge of major z/OS subsystem components - JES, DFSMS, WLM, RACF and SMF
- Proficient in use of systems tools and utilities – JCL, SDSF, IDCAMS, REXX.
- A programming background in IMS and DB2 is essential, either on the applications or the systems programming side.
- A working knowledge of CICS, plus basic competence in COBOL is necessary.
- Knowledge of PL/I and assembler are advantageous.
- Travel up to 50%
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Strong technical competency in assigned practice area
- Ability to build relationships at all levels within the organization and within customer organizations
- Expert in planning and presenting available solutions
- Strong interpersonal and customer relations skills
- Ability to coach and mentor others
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem solving skills
- Good presentation skills with a demonstrated background in technical delivery
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple projects and tasks in a fast paced environment
- Self-starter with ability to work independently, as well as a team environment