Burlington, MA or Pearl River, NY
As a Corporate Counsel with Syncsort, you must have 10+ years of relevant experience, with 5 or more years as in-house counsel in a fast-paced software or technology company. You must have current experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex customer and supplier contracts, often coordinating several at a time. Display current experience assisting with M&A, due diligence and integration activities, as well as assisting with corporate governance matters and legal entity management, in coordination with outside counsel.
The Corporate Counsel will also develop practical and creative solutions to meet Syncsort’s requirements related to commercial transactions. Develop, implement and monitor compliance programs, and assist with M&A, due diligence and related integration activities, with other members of the Legal team. Help advise internal departments on the various legal risks, business strategies, and other issues related to commercial transactions and compliance matters, as well as assist in the development of the Legal team and its processes. Diligent and proactive, you bring excellent business judgment and strategic thinking, experience in complex contract review and negotiations with both legal and financial/commercial issues, as well as to acquisitions, due diligence and integration activities, along with initiative and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
Position is located in Pearl River, NY or Burlington, MA.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Review, interpret, draft, revise, and negotiate various commercial contracts, including sales-side software licenses and master services agreements, order schedules, supplier-side content and technology licenses, consulting and services agreements, statements of work, reseller and distributor agreements, OEM agreements, and confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements.
- Collaborate with various internal departments, including Sales, Finance, Product Management, and Technology, to ensure accuracy and completeness of contract documents and compliance with company policies, procedures and risk tolerance.
- Respond to legal and contract requests from various internal departments, summarizing and communicating legal concepts, and advising on agreement structures, approval processes, company policies, and procedures.
- Keep abreast of new legislation and jurisdictional regulatory requirements.
- Assist with the design, development, implementation and monitoring of corporate policies, procedures and related training in collaboration with various internal departments and other members of the Legal team, such as the code of conduct, privacy and data protection, and anti-bribery and corruption.
- Perform independent reviews, risk assessments, and gap analysis of compliance processes to ensure effectiveness and identify deficiencies.
- Review and maintain standard form agreements, and assist other members of the Legal team with the review of non-standard agreements, for compliance with corporate policies and regulatory requirements.
- Assist with M&A, due diligence and integration activities in coordination with outside counsel.
- Assist with corporate governance matters and legal entity management in coordination with outside counsel.
- Advanced knowledge of contract law, with strong knowledge of relevant areas of substantive law (e.g., intellectual property).
- Able to confidently and independently lead complex negotiations, and to raise and resolve issues directly, with client, partner and supplier representatives, in diverse global situations.
- Experience anticipating and researching unique legal issues that may impact the company, advising executives in the company on a variety of legal matters, including in coordination with and managing external counsel.
- Superior interpersonal and presentation skills, with demonstrated ability to work well and communicate effectively with peers, all levels of management, and external resources in a virtual team environment.
- Excellent communications skills (written, oral, and listening) with the ability to work with, influence, and inform diverse groups.
Education and Experience
- Able to effectively deal with a high-volume work-load, rapid cycles, multiple assignments, concurrent deadlines, and changing priorities, with flexibility to work outside of business hours with geographically dispersed colleagues, clients and suppliers.
- Self-starter, capable of taking on special projects and challenging assignments, and working effectively in an unstructured environment.
- Strong technical skill set, including effective use of Microsoft Office applications, and experience with Microsoft Dynamics CRM.
- JD from an accredited law school.
- 10 or more years of relevant work experience, with 5 years or more as in-house counsel in a fast-paced technology/software company.
- Experience working in a global business with an international Sales team.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in contract management discipline, process, strategy, and execution, and drafting and negotiating key intellectual property provisions in various forms of inbound and outbound licensing and partnership agreements.
- Experience executing compliance oversight responsibilities, including those related to privacy and data protection laws, rules and regulations.
- Experience supporting acquisitions, due diligence and integrations, corporate governance, and legal entity management.
- Supervisory experience highly desirable.