Big Data Systems Administrator
Syncsort’s Big Data team is looking to add a Hadoop & UNIX System Administrator to the team which develops data integration software for the Hadoop and Window/Unix platforms. In this role, you will be a key member to the team responsible for the administration and management of many different Hadoop distributions, UNIX and Windows operating systems for over 300 Hadoop nodes, 200 UNIX, Linux and Windows servers. You should be an individual with focus and possess the ability to multi-task across several projects, be excited and motived to manage a multitude of tasks and work in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
- Administer, Install and support many databases, including Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, Sybase, Teradata, Netezza, Vertica, cloud databases and MySQL
- Manage and support several Hadoop clusters running Cloudera, Hortonworks, MapR, Apache for product and sales engineering support.
- Perform installation and support for O/S Virtualization software for a variety of software vendors, including: HP, IBM, VMWARE and Oracle Sun.
- Perform automation using Packer, Vagrant, Chef DevOps tools.
- Manage operating system updates, patches, and configuration changes for production servers.
- Provide very responsive support for day to day requests from product sales, development, support and professional services teams.
- Responsible for documenting procedures.
- Willingness to work 24/7 as needed and on an on-call basis to ensure responsive support for development and pre-sales activities.
- Performance analysis and debugging of slow running production and development build and regression testing processes.
- Management of Disk storage for all servers (SAN Administration)
- Management of ESX clusters
- Manage database licenses and renewals
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the field
- Ability and desire to “think out of the box” to not only meet requirements but exceed them whenever possible.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and complete assigned tasks on time.
- Ability to effectively interact with team members using strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic when working with difficult problems and tight deadlines.
- A strong desire to learn and the ability to understand new concepts quickly.
- Ability to code and Automate routine infrastructure tasks using Devops tool chain.
Knowledge and Understanding of the following:
- Software design principles, operating system design, database systems and concepts.
- Networking; Ethernet and TCP/IP, routing, DNS, etc.
- UNIX and Windows shell scripting.
- MS Windows, Linux and UNIX operating systems.
- Virtualization software, especially VMware.
- DevOps tools like packer, vagrant, Chef.
- Experience with learning and understanding all the major Hadoop distributions and toolsets running on Hadoop.
- Understanding and experience with all the major database vendors software: Oracle, DB2, Teradata, SQL Server, MySQL
- Experience with Virtualization software : VMWare Vsphere, ESXi, Virtualbox, KVM
- DevOps and DevSecOps, particularly Chef server and Vagrant, Powershell DSC, Docker
- Server provisioning with Razor or Dell OpenManage
- AWS or other Cloud management experience
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Nagios and Zenoss
- Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Engineering-related degree