Big Data Software Support Engineer
Syncsort is looking for candidates with the drive to solve complex issues and develop unique solutions to make our customers successful. Our customers depend on the highly-skilled technical engineers to in our customer support group to help drive the success of their DMX and DMX-h installations. Strong problem solving skills, communication, and the ability to develop creative solutions are a must. This position is based out of Syncsort’s HQ office in Pearl River, NY.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Provide world class technical solutions over the phone, email, and remote desktop connections.
- Address and resolve issues quickly and effectively to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Investigate, analyze, and solve complex problems occurring on a wide range of platforms, software systems, Hadoop distributions, and databases.
- Be able to understand the complexities of enterprise systems and be able to determine if the cause of an issue is the product, third party libraries, user developed code or jobs, or platform libraries.
- Debug issues and implement resolutions in multiple product areas across a variety of environments.
- Design and implement product functionality and tools to aid in debugging and resolving customer problems.
- Create comprehensive internal and external documentation for use by customers and team members.
- Take advantage of the team's collective knowledge and tools, to be able to quickly determine the best solutions.
- Never stop learning new technology, tools, systems, and sharing knowledge within the team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the goal being to always provide the best experience to our customers.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic when working with difficult problems and tight deadlines.
- A strong desire to learn new technology and the ability to understand new concepts quickly.
- Understanding of software design principals, operating system design, and database systems and concepts.
- Strong debugging and problem solving skills, with experience with C, C++, Java, or other object orientated languages.
- Distributed computing experience including Hadoop, MapReduce, cloud services, and cluster programming.
- Experience with z/OS Mainframe systems or System i Midrange systems with a focus on VSAM, DB2, IDMS, IMS, and other data storage systems.
- Understanding of debuggers, system utilities, and performance monitoring tools.
- Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Engineering-related degree.
- The following skills are a plus:
- Cloudera CDH
- Hortonworks HDP
- UNIX/Linux (AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Red Hat EL)
- Database systems (Oracle, Teradata, Microsoft SQL Server, Vertica, DB2, ODBC)
- Amazon Cloud Services (EC2, EMR, S3, RedShift)
- Candidate is required to be onsite in our Pearl River, NY corporate office daily.